Did everybody have a good holiday weekend?  We did a lot of entertaining this weekend.  Fun, casual, non-stressful entertaining with good friends.  Our house has a pretty good set-up for entertaining, especially right now when the mosquitoes are at a minimum.  But I have been thinking a lot about a lake house.  I'd love to get something small and flip it until I can work my way up to something like that place above.  

I have visions of inviting friends and family for quick weekend getaways, away from the small piles I've created all over my house.  We'd load up the car with kids, dogs and most of Costco and head out of town.  I would wear mexican-style peasant dresses and make sandwiches for everybody.  Then I would make the kids do plays for us on the porch or relay races in the yard.  I dream in specifics y'all. 

But back to reality.  I thought I'd share some of the recipes and tips from the weekend.  This is a super random post, but that's about how my brain works right now so bear with me.  

1.  A really good champagne cocktail.

My friend saw this cocktail from Bon Appetit on Elements of Style Blog and made it for us on Sunday.  It was so delicious and refreshing.     






2.  A really good sangria.

This one is from my friend Tina at The Enchanted Home.  It was a hit with the guys, as well as the ladies.  Sometimes sangria can be a little rich for me, but this one is really light and refreshing. 



Also, I've bookmarked this entire post because there are a couple really good, easy recipes that Tina has so graciously shared.  I've made the Chinese Chicken Salad and the Summer Pasta Dish and both were amazing and easy.

3.  A really good Rose.  

 
My friend brought over this 2012 Russian River Valley Rose of Pinot Noir last night for a birthday cheers.  It was delicious! (clearly we drank it so fast I couldn't get a picture of it's pretty pink color).  



4.  A Good Tip for Grilling Burgers 

Press your thumb down into the center of the patty so when it cooks you don't end up with a big round burger, but instead a flat burger that's easy to top with all of your favorite goodies.  Here are some more good burger grilling secrets.  


5.  CPR - Get Certified

This one might seem random and not so fun, but now that I have little ones, it seems like a no brainer.  My friend called the local fire department and asked them if they would give a group of us a CPR refresher.  I didn't even realize they would do that for you.  I jumped at the chance to do this.  I could not imagine standing by helpless if God-forbid someone might need my help.  So if you don't know where to go to get certified, call your local fire department or check their website for classes.  Let's keep our babies safe. 


6.  Easy Salad Recipe for a group



Lest I come off as a know-it-all alcoholic, I thought I'd share this easy salad "recipe" that's not really a recipe.  
  • Go to Costco and get the giant bag of Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit.  
  • Add everything but the dressing (I think it has sunflower seeds and cranberries).  
  • Add anything else you like in salads (I like cherry tomatoes or beets, red onion, and avocado).  
  • Toss with your favorite dressing (I like to whisk 2/3 cup of evoo, 3 Tbsps White Wine Vinegar, 2 Tbsps Dijon Mustard and some sea salt and cracked pepper - Gwyneth Paltrow told me that one in It's All Good).
  • Bonus: You can eat the leftovers the next day too because it doesn't get all slimy and wilty 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top